Then the Lord told him, “I have certainly seen the oppression of my people in Egypt. I have heard their cries of distress because of their harsh slave drivers. Yes, I am aware of their suffering.”
The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me…..to set at liberty those who are oppressed.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
If Western civilization does not now respond constructively to the challenge to banish racism, some future historian will have to say that a great civilization died because it lacked the soul and commitment to make justice a reality for all people.
From Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community? By Martin Luther King, Jr. (1967)
FOR GOD HAS HEARD…
At Liberty Ministries, Inc. (ALM) is a non-profit organization established to:
- raise, particularly in faith communities, awareness and understanding of individual, institutional and structural racism including how they interplay, function and operate to create inequitable outcomes by race in U.S. society;
- call the Christian church as an institution to repent and face its moral history of complicity in institutional racism;
- counter race formation with spiritual formation;
- promote the faith community’s participation in the work of challenging unjust systems, including engagement in non-violent, direct action campaigns; and
- develop faith communities that engage in a prophetic model of pastoral care to assuage the historical, ongoing and multi-generational trauma of white supremacy on both persons ascribed color and persons ascribed whiteness.
This work of course cannot be accomplished alone. It will be accomplished through education, prayerful self-reflection and collaboration with other organizations to build a movement of individuals, organizations and churches working to strip white supremacy of its continuing legitimacy and authority in these United States.